the tendon-cy to retire is natural.
now with even more memorial.

What to do what to do

You may select up to 2 options

View results

Rogers Pancreas

2015 Draft Day Discussion

Postby Rogers Pancreas » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:28 pm

What makes the most sense, ladies and gents?

vonbonds
Registered Broad

Re: 2015 Draft Day Discussion

Postby vonbonds » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:30 am

You guys need to BPA for a few years.

jester

Postby jester » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:35 am

You always BPA in the first round. Matters little what's happening at the NHL level.

That being said, if they take a D at 7, I would hope for a forward at the back of the 1st.

CharlieGirl

Postby CharlieGirl » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:01 am

I'd be okay with Zacha (despite limited playing time this year), I really like Konecny (but his size makes me a bit nervous). I'm not a fan of taking Crouse that high though. He's a good player, but I'd rather see them take a player with a higher ceiling, picking 7th.

jester

Postby jester » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:40 am

CharlieGirl wrote:I'd be okay with Zacha (despite limited playing time this year), I really like Konecny (but his size makes me a bit nervous). I'm not a fan of taking Crouse that high though. He's a good player, but I'd rather see them take a player with a higher ceiling, picking 7th.

With the annual caveat of not having seen any of these players play ... agree totally on valuing ceiling over safety (within reason). It's important that you not whiff when you're picking this high, but it's also important to not let the fear of bust overwhelm you to the point of making a terrible decision (eg., Mike Ricci v. Jaromir Jagr).

Based on what I've read, Provorov really intrigues me at 7. If he's truly a NHL-ready, or near NHL-ready D at this point with offensive upside ... I would not be sad at all to pick him up, and hopefully grab a good forward prospect or two with TB's pick and early in the 2nd.

FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Postby FlyHigh » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:29 am

Yeah, getting another stud blue-liner really intrigues me as well.

I know the system is weak on forwards, but it's also easier to trade D for forwards than the other way around and the idea of having Hanifin/Provorov, Sanheim, Morin, Ghost, and Hagg all in the system is pretty nice.

Seems like the forwards past Marner/Strome all come with some fairly significant drawbacks or risks.

EDIT: For the record, don't think we have our 2nd (thanks MacD), think it's only Chi's.

jester

Postby jester » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:58 am

FlyHigh wrote:Yeah, getting another stud blue-liner really intrigues me as well.

I know the system is weak on forwards, but it's also easier to trade D for forwards than the other way around and the idea of having Hanifin/Provorov, Sanheim, Morin, Ghost, and Hagg all in the system is pretty nice.

Seems like the forwards past Marner/Strome all come with some fairly significant drawbacks or risks.

EDIT: For the record, don't think we have our 2nd (thanks MacD), think it's only Chi's.

Good times.

The other thing is that there is so much more forward talent floating around from year-to-year than D (both on the FA market and in the draft), that when you have a chance to pick up a blue chip D (at the right spot in the draft) to pass on him for a comparable forward is just a bad decision. Plus, we have to figure at least some of these guys will disappoint.

GoneFullHextall

Postby GoneFullHextall » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:52 pm

I don't know as much as these guys as some of you since I have seen not many of them play outside of Hanifin but it seems like many want to avoid Crouse.

Rogers Pancreas

Postby Rogers Pancreas » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:21 pm

Propvorov and Zacha are where I'm at these days.

I was always a big proponent of Meier but it's starting to feel like that's playing it safe in a year where it's going to pay not to.

Return to “The Eric Wellwood Memorial Forum”